[G4] Bandwith dropped

Michael G-2 at att.net
Sun Feb 26 06:42:35 PST 2006

First, thanks for the non-M$ "it's not our problem" attitude ( the
monopoly where any problem is "mine" - - - & can't be addressed as it
may indicate a weakness of the OS).

But, the response(s) (and links) indicate:
1. The risks of applying 'fixes. tweaks or changing fundamental setting
within any OS - - Yes, I've tried Dr. TCP on the Winboxes...dunno if it
mattered but it seemed like a minor tweak and I can't say it did anything!
See, I have no reason to believe any settings which worked for six
months are wise to tamper with.

So?

2. Since my Mac has been getting over 6MB/s since I bought it (10-'05)
# and it only blinked out on Friday
# and 'only' dropped by 50% (rather than failing)
# and the Winboxes are fine
It's hardly a catastrophic incident.  I mean, more things must be right
than wrong?

Nah, I'm not sure I want to take a radical step and _do_ some thing(s)
which could get me in a deeper hole.

My guess is I need to _undo_
BUT WHAT!?
No setting outside the OS (modem/router tweak) - - - Not only do they
check-out...They don't seem to have had an effect on the Winboxes on the
3 other LAN ports and the G4 was happy till Friday.
If it's been running for months at 6+MB/s....It seems risky to tamper
with settings which prolly didn't have anything to do with losing 1/2 of
my DL speed in one day.
(I did connect the G4 directly to the modem...same, same...So that takes
the router out of he equation, and the same modem is OK with the Winboxes?)

I was leaning toward a "Network" 'setting/file/code/config' which is
"stuck" (and I don't know it).
I'm not a Unix type?  I see a lot of files/folders which perform
functions & unlike the bizarre M$ registry, it isn't always clear what
functions these particular 'files' influence.

So, I'm thinking it's prolly more simple than not? As bizarre as it is
(one machine on a LAN dropping DL by 1/2 - - in a day?) -- I gotta
believe its code/config related - -  some pref/config/file is either
wrong or in the way (should have been ditched & is hanging around).

I mean, what's left if we eliminate the router, modem (as probs) and
have two other boxes running at full speed (and the G4 'did' until
Friday)?

I still think the craziest thing is I have alot of speed (2MB/s ain't
shabby!) - - - It's just that it was getting 6+ as the Winboxes still
are.  Yeah, if it totally blinked out - - - That would make sense...It's
too bizarre that it hits the wall at 2MB/s....

Keep dem brains workin'....I'm outta tricks and the link provided below
doesn't seem to address my folly.

Thanks

Michael

On Feb 25, 2006, at 9:32 AM, James Pacyga wrote:

 > > you can also go to the Apple site and download the Apple Broadband
 > > Tuner 1.0. This might help improve the frame sizes and allow you to
 > > get more out of your G4.  I have run it on my machines and it did
 > > help somewhat...

Note that this application tunes your system for high speed HIGH
LATENCY networks, think satellite internet, and is not appropriate
for cable or DSL services.

Networking in general and TCP/IP specifically are very complicated
stuff. Most of the advice given by folks on the net about TCP/IP
tuning is complete nonsense. If you want to learn about cable and DSL
tuning from an expert see this site: http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/.
John Navas is one of the few people who really know what they're
talking about when it comes to tuning TCP/IP.

Phil