[G4] NET musings [Part II]

Michael G-2 at att.net
Sat Feb 25 11:30:11 PST 2006

Hi,
I'm the guy who lost 50% of my DL bandwith (see 'Bandwidth Dropped')

1. I've been a PC dud(e) for 20 years...Only grabbed the G4 G-E last
October. It's been great!  Though the PC is a P4. 2-1/2+ Gig CPU - -
I've switched over to the Mac for most uses.
2. Yes, it was tricky getting the Mac to 'see' the shared folders on the
XP...I solved it by going with the same login & a single character
share-name. (The XP always 'saw' the Mac...the prob began w/ the Tiger
upgrade...but all is OK on the LAN.
3. Yeah, the XP has always been fussy (complicated firewalls, loads of
A-V and A-S and Service Packs and updates tend to screw with NT, LAN and
IP issues.  But in six months - - the Mac has only required a reset of
the Net if there was a glitch.
4. This 50% drop happend in a flash - - prolly yesterday afternoon.  No
changes were made with either sys, router or the carrier.  The XP/W2k
boxes have been fine (see stats in previous post) and the G4 lost 1/2 of
it's DL?!
4. All checks out w/ the router.  All diags on all machine(s) give me
the same reports.

So, if this were a WinProb...well, I listed the numerous reason why the
WinBoxes are subject to NET, LAN probs.  I don't have much goin' on in
the Mac...certainly nuttin' new in the past days.  A WinBoxs offer many
areas to explore with a NET/LAN prob...this is pretty basic on the G4.

I can only cite one event yesterday...I had a share from the XP
mounted...the connection dropped...I couldn't dump it and had to reboot
(There is prolly an easier way...)

Anyway, all was well and I have a share up on the Mac now.  Just
thought that 'something' (a file, some code?) is stuck in the Mac & it's
(big maybe) effecting my connection...I doubt it as the LAN is fine and
my upspeed to the NET is fine...but, that did 'happen' - - & it's the
only 'event' in the last day.

Me?  I think some 'config' is stuck/wrong in the G4.  I only re-booted
once (it's up 24/7) but I do run Disk Utility 'cause it seems to keep
things humming.  But losing 1/2 if the DL (only) IS odd!
So:
Why not 'all' of the DL in the Mac (1/2)?
Why are the PC's OK?
Why is the UL in the G4 the same?
Why no prob with the LAN (just the Internet)?

It's ONLY the DL , only on the Mac _&_ the connection is  _there_
But I only have half of it!

Michael