[G4] Advice on iPod purchase

James Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 4 18:37:24 PST 2006

I have a video iPod 60Gb 5th Gen.  I also don't have a USB 2.0 card
on my old PowerMac G4/500 that I use as a media box (where all my
50Gb of music is stored).

Aside from being slow as paint drying in Seattle, it works fine.
Figure about 400 songs will sync per hour on USB 1.1.  So that is
pretty crappy, but once you do the initial sync it isn't bad unless
you are really shifting your music collection a lot.

My initial pain point (to sync 9700 songs) was about 2 days of pain...

Meanwhile my wife gets her iPod Nano to sync up 4Gb much quicker off
my iBook G4, but really I have time where I can afford for it to be
"out of pocket" for a while whilst it syncs up.  I will have to get
the USB 2.0 card at some point since it doesn't work off the
available USB 1.1 I have on the keyboard (not enough juice) and it
causes me to have to disconnect my speakers or keyboard to sync...

It is a bummer about the firewire since I have firewire ports a
plenty (Thanks Apple :P)

jim