[G4] Continued problems with G4 MDD Harddrive setup

Richard H. Blount majorrich at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 5 15:15:46 PST 2006

Hi All,
I was gifted a G4 MDD powermac a couple weeks ago. It was partially
disassembled and missing a hard drive. I was able to get things back
together and even able to get it to boot to the CD-Rom or DVD (whatever this
thing has) Macs are a rather new thing to me. From repeated p-ram resets,
pushing the little button thing and doing the C-Opt O-F thing to reset the
Nvram and reset defaults and even buying a new hard-drive. (a Maxtor Calypso
80g) I believe the primary HDD controller is kaput. The G4 rebuild disks
continue to tell me the drive is not supported on the ATA66 controller.  I
was, however able to take the drive to my older G4 450 AGP and it works just
fine there. I even installed OSX to the drive hoping to get the MDD to see
it. To no avail. The @#$$ thing still just sits there still mocking me..
Have I missed anything. Should I part it out (Would give much satisfaction)
I just hate to give up on dual 1.2's. Much faster than my regular machine.
--
Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.)
It is not enough to aim, You must hit.