[G4] Re: FireWire 400, 800 Daisy-chains

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 17:08:44 PST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 5:56 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:31:30 -0500
> From: Dale Hoffman <dhoff at margnat.com>
> Subject: [G4] FireWire 400, 800 Daisy-chains
> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> Anyone else starting to notice the change in FireWire drive
> connectivity?
>
> I'm starting to add external FireWire drives that are dual FW 400/800
> with 6 pin (400) and 9 pin (800) connectors. The old FW400 drives had
> two 6-pin connections for easy daisy-chaining. The new dual speed
> drives have two 9-pin (800) and one 6-pin which doesn't allow for
> connecting two FW400 drives.
>
> Do 6-pin/9-pin converters exist? if so do they work?
> Or do I go to Firewire Hubs?

I do not know about converters, but 6 to 9 pin cables exist in various
lengths.  Check them out at Apple's web site, made by Belkin, and
various catalogues and maybe Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy.

I cannot vouch for functionality, but I assume these cables are for
what you want to do.  You can get more info in Apple's support pages on
queries for 9-pin etc, and Firewire 800.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.