[G4] (no subject)

Ernest Vincent Pons-Worley eponsworley at mac.com
Fri Jan 6 18:45:11 PST 2006

> I am thinking about getting a Video iPod, but my understanding is
> that they don't support Fire Wire.  My problem is that I have a
> Gigabit G4 which I think uses USB 1.1, and all my PCI slots are
> full.  Does any one make a USB 2.0 to Fire Wire adapter that I can
> use to sync my Mac and my iPod?  If not, what are my options?

I have a dual 450 MHz APG graphics G4.  I bought a USB 2.0 card for
less than $30 at the Apple store and it works fine.  It's plug and
play, took all of 30 seconds to install, and gives you two additional
USB ports.  The USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s, which is actually faster than
the FireWire connection at 400 Mb/s.  This is controversial, I know,
but I see why Apple dropped FW.  The USB 2.0 is faster, and FW is
rare on heathen boxes.

I've tried syncing my iPod using both FW and USB 2.0 and could not
discern the difference.

Ernest