[G4] Still trying to revive the dead G4 MDD

James Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 08:37:07 PST 2006

Richard-

You have two options...

You can buy a PCI ATA/133 controller.  This would let you use the
Maxtor 80gb drive you have and also add 1-3 more later over time.  It
will also be somewhat faster that the internal and likely broken ATA
bus that was builtin.

Secondly, you could opt for a SATA/133 PCI card controller.  This
would however force you to exchange the Maxtor for a like SATA drive
(if this is easy enough you might consider it, if not and you never
intend to upgrade to the G5 or newer architecture machines that use
SATA you mightn't care).

I have upgraded my G4/500 AGP to use the SATA card from Sonnet and
have had no problems (I did need to contact them via email for a
firmware update to get sleep to function properly but that took two
seconds).  The SATA 200gb Maxtor I got works a treat and is MUCH
faster than either of my other ATA drives on the internal bus.

Either option will allow you to use drives with sizes above 128Gb.

One note, you can use http://pricewatch.com to price drives.  I have
found Newegg.com to be a reasonable choice and ultra reliable.

jim