[G4] New Hard Drive

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jan 15 07:40:31 PST 2006

On 1/14/06 7:24 PM, "Daniel Brieck Jr." <djbrieck at mac.com> wrote:

> Time and time again, just set the jumper right in the first place,
> don't depend on Cable Select modes.
>
> Get it set up plugged in hardware wise, then format it with Disk
> Utility, then try the Mac os X install.
>
> If it is showing up in the System Profiler then all that needs to be
> done is the formatting with Disk Utility before install mac os x.
>
> Daniel J. Brieck Jr.

I'm curious; what's wrong with using "Cable Select"? Apple endorses it, as
long as its own cables are used.

You say this has been discussed "time and time again;" it's entirely
possible I've missed all those discussions, but I read my subscribed lists
pretty faithfully and don't recall this topic. It currently pertinent for me
because one of the two internal IBM DeskStar (lovingly referred to by some
as "Death star") drives in my son's mirrored doors dual 1 GHz G4 just died.
I put in a new Seagate 250 Gbyte 7200 rpm drive, left both it and the
remaining death star jumpered Cable Select, and installed Tiger with no
problems on the new drive, but now the Mac is freezing again from time to
time (cursor won't move, command-option-delete salute not recognized, etc.),
so I have to wonder if jumpering the drives differently would make some
difference.

Of course, up until the recent drive failure this Mac had ABSOLUTELY no
problems with the two drives jumpered Cable Select in the same box using the
same set of cables.

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson