[G4] sawtooth connecting via ethernet

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu Jan 26 08:18:29 PST 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Unless you were required to register your MAC address with your service
provider you don't need to clone your MAC address to you router. The
Router has a MAC address and the service provider (ISP) should accept
that address.

Where's what I have to do when there is a problem (comcast.net)
Shut-down everything, and what I'm referring to is power-off. This
includes the computer the router and the cable modem. For the cable
modem you not only need to power-down you need to unplug the power plug
and leave it unplugged for about 2 minutes.

Then in the following order.
1. Plugin the cable modem and wait until all of the lights on the front
are in a stable pattern indicating that it is commuting with the
server.
2. Plugin the router (should still be connected to the modem and your
computer) and wait for a short period of time that will insure that the
modem has recognized the router.
3. Start-up the computer.

Then check your Network connection panel for the network connection.

On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:38 AM, TM Buffalo wrote:

> I get an IP address and ruter address when the sawtooth is conected
> via ethernet directly to cable router and also gets one when I plug it
> in to the wireless router but then the pages wont load. the wireless
> and cable router are both at their default settings. I thought of
> enabling internet sharing on the sawtooth but i keep getting warnings
> that doing so will change my router and other computer settings or I
> might violate my contract with my ISP provder?
>
> Should I enable it and see what happens or is that not the issue?
>  thanks so much for your response didnt get much from the list
>  not sure why.
>
> Tamara
>
> On 1/25/06, James Pacyga <jim.pacyga at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Do you have an IP address and router address in your Network
>> Preferences under the system preferences?
>>
>> If so, do you have the wireless router set up correctly?  I.e., are
>> you filtering MAC addresses and have not entered your G4's MAC
>> address in the router? are you enabling DHCP? are you limiting
>> certain clients (some routers can be set to accept only 802.11b or
>> 802.11g or both (also 802.11a)?
>>

>> On Jan 19, 2006, at 22:21 , TmB wrote:
>>
>>> thanks for the info on possible upgrades. just installed a 100 gig
>>> HD and now will be upgrading ram and adding second HD when more
>>> funds permit.
>>>
>>> another question. my sawtooth connects great if its plugged
>>> directly into my cable modem but will not  connect via ethernet
>>> thru my wireless belkin router, but it pings and the G4 says in the
>>> network status that it is connected.
>>> im using OSX.3
>>>
>>> what am I doing wrong? why wont any pages load?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>  TmB

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.