[G4] trouble repairing permissions

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 12 23:21:43 PST 2006

I had similar things happen in 10.2 with permissions and without
exception, If I stopped the process, no matter how long it hung, I
always had to re install the OS to "fix" the problem.  This was on the
G4 Cube - I sold it.   I have not had the same problem in 10.3 on the
imac G5 (thank the gods- all of them, yours-mine-his).

I looked at everything for the cause and repaired everything I could
with software and ran every diagnostic I could. (TechTool, Disk
Warrior, Disk Doctor, Pacifist, Disk Utility-repair Disk & repair
permissions, booted from exterior disk or CD for everything)  No luck
at the solution and these problems reoccurred over 3-4 months.  I got
rid of it and remarkably the problem is solved.

The only thing I could do was erase/reformat the drive and re-install
the OS.  Wait to see if it re-occurs or not.  Back up your data - ALL
OF IT (but not the OS).  I would not even back up the user profile -
literally just the data and then drag it onto the new OS install after
you also install all your programs and repair all permissions.  You
will need all your web passwords and sites, bookmarks and mail files,
music, photos, etc - kills if you miss something.  A big external drive
is a great asset.

Hope it helps.

jj

On 12-Jan-06, at 8:46 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com