[G4] g4 running os9 on pc named network

Doug Burton mdd867x2 at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 1 06:13:12 PDT 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 3:31 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> On 1/7/2006 3:27 PM, "cerebus DaPope" <cerebusdapope at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ok  got my g4 da up and running
>> but i need to get this onto my pc network, how do i do
>> this?
>

> Firstly, I cannot help with anything to do with OS 9 sorry, it is a
> bit too
> ancient history, a horrible old OS that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It
> has
> many problems including the fact that virtually all software now
> available
> requires a minimum of OS 10.3.9  OS 9 users are in this bubble that is
> slowly getting more isolated. I know, my wife is one of them, but she
> clings
> to to the past, and thinks that her computing hassles are normal. They
> are
> not.
>
> If you have a G4 then why are you not going for OS X? You will find
> that
> EVERYTHING including networking is easier. I have a LAN with a PC on
> it,
> works fine.
>
> Go for OS X. You don't have to have the latest, 10.3.x is fine if
> that's
> easier to get hold of and it is easy to upgrade to !0.3.9. 10.4.x has
> the
> advantage of the internal search function called Spotlight.
>
> Who knows, with OS X you may even re-discover joy in computing. And
> have
> everything that Windows Vista is promising, but have it now.
>

> Tony

As a former PC guy myself, I have to agree with Tony.  OS X is the only
way to go on a Win/PC network.  I liked it so much that I changed my PC
file server into a Mac B&W running Panther.  Both Mac's and PC's both
see the server drives fine and it all works together great!

Just a message from Doug...