[G4] OpenFirmware can't open bootdevice anymore

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Mon Jul 3 10:24:16 PDT 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Till I think that you have learned a hard lesson, just like I did soon
after installing 10.3 on my G4 Sawthooth.

Never, Never, never use any of the OS 9 disk tools on the disk that
contains OSX.
I used Norton's disk utilities to clean up the disk fragmentation, well
that was "IT" I had to reload OS X and reinstall all of the application
that I had before I could use OS X again.

I know that you don't want to hear this but your only option (I think,
unless someone else knows) is to reload OS X and never again use any of
the OS 9 Disk Utilities.

On Jul 3, 2006, at 6:33 AM, Till Wimmer wrote:

> Hello
>
> Yesterday I booted into Os9 and did some work there (Protools) -
> everything worked fine. Then I changed the startup disk back to Os
> 10.3.9 using the control panel.
> But after rebooting only the "no system found" icon came up. Next i
> rebooted holding down the option key, but there was no system folder
> displayed for selection.
>
> Of course i resetted PRAM, pressed the PMU button... still the "no
> system found" icon!
>
> Then i put my PPC linux disk in it and.. IT WORKED!  Putting back my
> OsX / Os 9 disk - no booting.
>
> OpenFirmware says:
> 0 > boot hd:,\\:tbxi  can't OPEN: hd:,\\:tbxi
> ok
> 0 >
> It tried this with ide0, ide1, hd, ultra0, ultra1...
>
> My next step was to put the OsX/Os9 system disk in an other mac and
> run Disk Utility on it. It reported no problem.
>
> Now i'm at my wit's end.
>
> Is there a tool to check every partition on a disk i.e. all the
> relevant things for booting? Maybe i deleted some driver on the the
> disk?
>
> It's a G4 Digital Audio with OsX 10.3.9 and Os 9.2.2
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Till
> --

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC