[G4] OpenFirmware can't open bootdevice anymore

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Mon Jul 3 10:43:52 PDT 2006

I feel your pain. I still find boot-up problems to be the fly in the
ointment that is Macintosh. When it works, it's great. When it
doesn't, it's truly a bear finding something that works.

Things I usually try:

Zap the PRAM several (5 to 7) times with Command-Option-P-R at startup.

Boot into open firmware with Command-Option-O-F
type at the prompt: reset-nvram <return>
reset-all <return>

Start up in safe mode:
 From shut-down, power up and at startup tone, press shift key and
hold until "safe bootappears.
After the system is fully up, restart normally.

Start up in single user mode:
Power up and at tone, press and hold Command-S until you see white
text...
At command line, type:
fsck -y <return> you may have to precede this command with /sbin/
reboot <return>

If you have another X or 9 boot partition, try using Command-Option-
Shift-Delete to bypass the default boot partition. Appending a number
(3 or 5 or whatever) sometimes helps to select a specific boot drive.

The last time I had a boot problem, I even had to swap in an ATA
drive with a boot partition, because my Quicksilver would not find a
backup boot partition on a secondary SATA drive.
Why, I don't know.

HTH. Good luck!