[G4] My Yikes Broke...

Noah Miller noahj90 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 21:31:13 PDT 2006

I purchased a Yikes G4 off of ebay.  I really wanted a sawtooth, but this was a really good deal, so I took it.  Anyways, I received it, and I turned it on and it ran good, for the first three  hours.  All of a sudden the hard drive started making funny noises.  And then BLAH!  It was dead.  Because of the as is thing, I can't get replacment parts for free, and they charge a lot for a crappy hard drive.  I wanted to know what you think would be the best for me to do.  Here's the specifications on the yikes.

  350 Mhz
  320 MB Ram
  CD Rom Drive
  10 GB hard drive(now dead)
  it was running 10.0.4 but now I have no operating system, because it all came on the hard drive.

  I was looking for hard drives, and I remembered that thing about not getting all of the memory because the yikes has only an Ultra ATA 33 bus (I think).  Then I was thinking that maybe I should upgrade to serial ATA, because it would cost me the same price to buy an IDE as it would to buy the same sized Serial ATA and a 4 port card for it.  Then I also came across the problem Of getting an OS. I would like to run Jaguar, but I need a DVD drive to install.  What should I do?  It would really help if someone could help me out.

  thanks,
  Noah