[G4] My Yikes Broke...

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 23:12:33 PDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 9:31 PM, Noah Miller wrote:

> I purchased a Yikes G4 off of ebay. ...
>
> I was looking for hard drives, and I remembered that thing about
> not getting all of the memory because the yikes has only an Ultra
> ATA 33 bus (I think).

You can use up to an 128 GB drive on this controller. You need to to
find out if you have a rev 1 or 2 motherboard. The rev 1 boards have
problems with some IDE drives. Check at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com
for details and a pointer to a test program. I have used several
modern IDE drives in my rev 1 Yikes with no problems. (I did run the
test on each.)

> Then I was thinking that maybe I should upgrade to serial ATA,
> because it would cost me the same price to buy an IDE as it would
> to buy the same sized Serial ATA and a 4 port card for it.

Serial ATA is the way to go, but serial drives are still a little
more than parallel drives and don't tend to have the huge rebates
that make some parallel drives so inexpensive.

> Then I also came across the problem Of getting an OS. I would like
> to run Jaguar, but I need a DVD drive to install. What should I do?
> It would really help if someone could help me out.

You should be able to get a DVD drive for $20-30 (or less used), but
isn't a new controller, new hard drive, and DVD drive (plus what you
could get by selling your Yikes) a good chunk of the cost of a
Sawtooth which would have a G4 processor?

Phil