[G4] 10.4.7 and USB 2.0

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Mon Jul 17 05:32:28 PDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:36 AM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:
>
>> I wonder if anyone else has had problems and knows a fix for sleep
>> problems related to the 10.4.7 update when you have a PCI USB 2.0
>> card and hub installed. On the Apple forums lots of folks seem to
>> be having issues with the same setups. I think most of us with
>> older G4's got the USB cards because Apple changed the connection
>> on the newer iPods from Firewire to USB 2. (That's pretty annoying
>> too but another issue.) I can't put the computer to sleep with the
>> hub attached (it's a brand new Belkin powered 6 plug hub). If I do
>> the computer wakes but it's totally frozen and needs to be
>> restarted hard. It worked fine before I updated to 10.4.7 a couple
>> of weeks ago. I did do the combo update. I have a 350 Sawtooth
>> which I know is an antique but I love it. Thanks for any advice
>> you can give.
>
> So it sleeps OK with just the card? If so try different hubs. (Get
> them some place that you can return them.) Have you tried all of
> the if-all-else-fails fixes like resetting NVRAM, PRAM, repairing
> the disk and permissions? Have you tried using a program like Onyx
> to clean out all of the system caches?
>
> Phil

Yeah I did all those things, It sleeps fine with just the card. It's
the hub that creates the problem. That hub was expensive too. I may
try a different one and return it if it does not work. Right now I
just remove it which is a small pain but I can live with it. I do
love when everything "just works" though. I guess that slogan is way
newer than my old Mac. Thanks.
Greg