[G4] 10.4.7 and USB 2.0

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 21:36:19 PDT 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:

> I wonder if anyone else has had problems and knows a fix for sleep
> problems related to the 10.4.7 update when you have a PCI USB 2.0
> card and hub installed. On the Apple forums lots of folks seem to
> be having issues with the same setups. I think most of us with
> older G4's got the USB cards because Apple changed the connection
> on the newer iPods from Firewire to USB 2. (That's pretty annoying
> too but another issue.) I can't put the computer to sleep with the
> hub attached (it's a brand new Belkin powered 6 plug hub). If I do
> the computer wakes but it's totally frozen and needs to be
> restarted hard. It worked fine before I updated to 10.4.7 a couple
> of weeks ago. I did do the combo update. I have a 350 Sawtooth
> which I know is an antique but I love it. Thanks for any advice you
> can give.

So it sleeps OK with just the card? If so try different hubs. (Get
them some place that you can return them.) Have you tried all of the
if-all-else-fails fixes like resetting NVRAM, PRAM, repairing the
disk and permissions? Have you tried using a program like Onyx to
clean out all of the system caches?

Phil