[G4] Back up G3/G4

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 20 02:07:14 PDT 2006

I backup my G3 iBook with 10.3.9 to an external drive  by using target mode
and then cloning with SuperDuper which is on my eMac, from the iBook's hard
drive located on the eMac desktop to the external drive attached to the
eMac.

I presume a restore to the iBook should work back via the same route of
external drive to the eMac to the target mode iBook.

Or is Target mode dependent on an OS already being on the iBook? In other
words is it possible or not to attach an iBook with a new or erased hard
drive via firewire to an eMac and have it's hard drive appear on the desktop
of the eMac simply by starting the laptop with the T key depressed?

Also I do not know if, when disaster strikes, and the G3 is defunct, if I
replaced it with a G4, would the restore still work? In other words is there
something about the G3 that would prevent a bootable clone that originated
on a G3 iBook from restoring onto a G4 iBook?

It is not a problem now, the G3 is working fine, but I should find out in
advance, so I know what to do when it does expire. I presume that I would be
in the position, especially at short notice, of buying a used machine on
eBay, and 'upgrading' to a G4 would probably be the best choice at the time,
now that prices seem to be falling on pre-intel hardware.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art