[G4] Off topic install of OS9

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 4 04:48:49 PDT 2006

Ronald Steinke wrote:

> I must add my $.02 worth here, it's been gnawing at me for a bit.
> Please wait patiently for this short rant to be delivered.
>
> I, too, regard the current display of ignorance or rebellion by many
> (young?) people as a severe sign of disrespect to the majority of
> elder citizens in our country.
>
> I was taught to regard my national language as something that would
> allow me to progress and develop my intelligence. I find the current
> trend of sloppiness and carelessness in language and grammar to be
> almost unacceptable in ordinary circumstances.
>
> I say "almost" because I will not tilt at windmills attempting to
> correct those who offend. I have found that most offenders adamantly
> refuse to acknowledge their ignorance or to make any effort to
> improve their poor conduct whether it be in simple speech or in
> written dialogue. Witness the overworked use of "Like" and "I went"
> in conversations today when it is intended to mean "as though" and "I
> said".
>
> I find it difficult to accept ignorance combined with apathy from any
> source. I can accept ignorance for an excuse, but I also expect that
> it would be corrected in a timely manner through education and effort.
>
> If I had presented my statements in the forms that are commonly being
> used today, I would have been chastised and prevented from moving up
> to the next grade in school.
>
> !!!!!End of rant, many thanks for this opportunity to vent.!!!!!

In for a penny, in for a pound. Nice rant, but I have heard it before.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and
Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953)."

Here is another great example:

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Who wrote that, and when do you think it was written?... it is an
extract from a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274!