[G4] new hard drive question

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Mon Jun 5 14:00:04 PDT 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Brad Russell wrote:

> I just bought a new WD Caviar 160 to replace the original 30gb
> drive in my DP450 and have questions about the configuration. I
> also have a WD Caviar 80gb drive that has been in there as extra
> storage and I have been running everything off of the 30gb one. So
> now I'm wondering if I should format the new one at 128 and run
> everything off of it or if I should make the 80 gb on the main disk
> and attempt to get the drivers that would enable me to see the
> whole 160? Right now I can easily forgo the extra 22gb and not have
> to mess with partitions and the drivers, so I guess my question is
> if the 160 with a 8mb cache is the better workhorse drive or if the
> 80 with the 2mb cache would be a better choice? They are both
> 7200rpm and I would think the one with the 8mb cache would be the
> one to be my everyday drive, but I vaguely remember someone telling
> me that smaller drives can be faster. Can anyone clarify?

Go to www.macupdate.com and download some benchmark programs like
Xbench, DiskSpeedBenchX, or SpeedRun. I'm willing to bet that the 160
GB drive will be consistently faster than either of the other two
drives.

Phil
--
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they