[G4] new hard drive question

Brad Russell braddrussell at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 07:43:47 PDT 2006

I just bought a new WD Caviar 160 to replace the original 30gb drive in my DP450 and have questions about the configuration.  I also have a WD Caviar 80gb drive that has been in there as extra storage and I have been running everything off of the 30gb one.  So now I'm wondering if I should format the new one at 128 and run everything off of it or if I should make the 80 gb on the main disk and attempt to get the drivers that would enable me to see the whole 160?  Right now I can easily forgo the extra 22gb and not have to mess with partitions and the drivers, so I guess my question is if the 160 with a 8mb cache is the better workhorse drive or if the 80 with the 2mb cache would be a better choice?  They are both 7200rpm and I would think the one with the 8mb cache would be the one to be my everyday drive, but I vaguely remember someone telling me that smaller drives can be faster.  Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

Brad

http://mail.yahoo.com