[G4] printer networking question

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 20:17:02 PDT 2006

I don't think the LaserWriter II has any kind of Ethernet connection--they used the old Appletalk boxes that daisy-chained to the serial ports of various Macs and then the printer.  Unless the GS (sounds like an Apple IIgs computer) has an AAUI connector that will take a transceiver with an Ethernet port.  At any rate, that's a really old laser printer.  You should replace it.  Any network that only talks to its printer with an Ethernet address will not talk to an AppleTalk only printer.

You could try an HP External JetDirect if the printer has a parallel port.  The JetDirect would provide the Ethernet address.  But there again you're gonna spend $150-$250.  And then the Jet Direct may not support that model.

Best advice--Get another networkable laser printer.

Nate
From: "Richard Northouse" <rnorthouse at wi.rr.com>