[G4] Griffin iMate ADB-USB

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sun Jun 11 10:27:11 PDT 2006

At 12:58 -0400 6/11/06, Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
>I don't want to give up my big-ball Kensington TurboMouse 5 and I like the touch of the Radius ADB extended keyboard.  Any negative experience to report that would dissuade me from using the subject adapter on a G4-MDD?

I have been using one for years with an older sawtooth G4. I do use a USB optical mouse from Microsoft though. It's nice to have identical - ADB - keyboards on my 8500 and the G4.

The choice of USB hub creates curious problems. With a powered hub I discover that the keyboard power-on key works not. The button on the front of the tower works OK.

With an unpowered hub the CD-ROM drive opens up every time I boot up the machine but the power key works as it should.

With no hub at all everything is fine but I can't use my scanner.

In all cases you will not be able to boot with the s key in order to start up with a terminal window in single user mode. Keep a USB keyboard around for that.

That's all been the case through 10.3.9, I had to back out of 10.4 when I learned, after purchasing, that I would have to replace my SE/30 file server in order to use it.
--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.