Re: [G4] Well hereÕs a general question that could use a good answer... (SuperDrive)

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Sun Jun 25 18:08:37 PDT 2006

<< rich - i have the same machine and had the same dilemma - the folks at

OWc said the main difference between the units was that the 111 would

burn dual layer DVD's - if I had no real need for that, they felt the

110 was actually a superior unit though a model older. I went with their

recommendation, installed the 110 and it has worked flawlessly since

putting it in.

hope that helps.

jay >>

That was interesting since the following is the e-mail response from OWC on
June 8th. I had the same question.

<<Hi,

This is Zach from the OWC Tech Support Dept.

The difference in the two drives is that the 111d has a different firmware
and at least 1 more option for burning the discs.

I usually suggest the dvr 111d .

Sincerely,

Zach Hyatt

Computer Technician

Other World Computing, Inc.

1004 Courtaulds Drive

Woodstock,  IL  60098

(815)338-8685

tech at macsales.com>>

I believe from other research I did, that the 111D will burn to DVD-RAM and
the 110D will not, but I could be wrong. I ended up buying 2 from NewEgg. com
for $29 each plus change and shipping. They are now installed in both my QS and
MDD, and they were both recognized in OS9 and OSX. I'm pretty sure I'll have
to run Patchburn on both to use all the features without using Toast, but once
again I could be wrong.

STeve