Re: [G4] Well hereÕs a general question that could use a good answer... (SuperDrive)

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:35:09 PDT 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Richard Ramsowr wrote:

> At OWC they offer...
>
> a Pioneer 16X DL SuperDrive DVR 111D (DVR-111D-BK) for $48.99
>
> and...
>
>  a Pioneer 16X DL SuperDrive DVR 110D (DVR110D) for $44.99
>
> So what are the differences between the two units

(Just one I'd like to see a post where someone said I looked for this
information myself, but couldn't find it. It only took a few minutes
of time to find this information, but I guess better my time than
yours, huh.)

Basically, as has been stated in previous discussions of this drive
on this or another MacintoshGuy list, the DVR-111D should vibrate
less, be quieter, and burn discs more reliably.

 From Pioneer's site (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/
product/details/0,,2076_310070061_302357565,00.html):

The DVR-111D (OEM) DVD/CD writer supports 16x write speeds on both
DVD-R/+R along with the capability to write at 8x speed on DVD-R/+R
dual/double layer media. These drives are available in beige, black
and silver.

Improved Quiet Drive Technology reduces the noise level of audio and
video playback while also delivering increased writing reliability

Liquid Crystal Tilt/Blur Compensator plays and records to discs more
reliably - the Pioneer technology that compensates for warped discs
Dual/Double Layer recording provides nearly twice the capacity of a
single layer recordable DVD-R (8.5 Gbytes vs. 4.7 Gbytes)

 From a reseller:

Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber to reduce vibrations during high-
speed recording and playback of discs.
Dual/Double Layer recording provides nearly twice the capacity of a
single layer recordable DVD-R (8.5 Gbytes vs. 4.7

Phil