[G4] Re: Bandwith dropped

Michael G-2 at att.net
Thu Mar 2 05:54:11 PST 2006

Good morning and welcome to planet Earth.

Where ya been?

> Michael,
>                 i have had issues with slow speeds with my iISP till i
> threatened legal action and explained that TCIP and ethernet as well as
> ADSL are not platform specific, that is the reason for them being made.
> This  action caused the bottle neck to be removed.
> you need to supply us some details of your set up and not blabble about
> you have tried everything.

My first post began:

"My G4:
400Mhz, (A G-E.... OS 10.4.3) 1/2 Go o' Ram.  On a LAN w/ a D-Link
router...cable to the router, Comcast broadband. It's networked
w/WinXPPro/W2k & and an old W98 lapper. (Simple WORKGROUP)
Ok, in the past couple of days my DL bandwidth on he G4 seemed 'slow'.
I wuz right!
Yep, in multiple tests - - the XP & 98 are getting 6-8Mb\s DL and the
Mac is barely breaking 3Mb\s!
(The upload on all is  350-500+ Kbs)
I have no problem with the smb connection to the Win machines...It was a
bit tricky, but both machines communicate well...but, each is hooked to
the router, no Internet Connection Sharing. So, my prob is with the
Internet connection only, only w/ the Mac and not with the LAN to the
other boxes...."
==================
[I went on to provide sufficient details which eliminated any 'known'
reason for the sudden drop in bandwidth on the G4]

> what is your connection...

Told ya, day one.

> do you need a script....

On for supplying redundant information to those who fail to read for
comprehension.

> how are you testing speed....

Name a way...[does building strawmen pay well?]

> is there a router.....

Well, let me check my script...(What did I write on day one?)

> what is the addressing being used.......

I seem to need to address the same point(s)...over and over.

> what are all your network settings.......

Do you mean the 'settings' which 'allowed' the G4 to obtain the same
bandwidth as the other boxes on the connection for over six months?

Did you see where I've applied various settings in response to the
advice I've received?

> make sure you are not being a victim of sharing turned on.

Make sure you know what you're writing about.

> look forward to your reply

First, go back and read what I've already supplied.

In other words, my 'blabble' contains ample evidence regarding
'what/where/why the problem is not'.

I look forward to you providing an option which I've not considered. (It
wasn't in your post.)

[FYI, I love the movie Groundhog Day]

Michael