[G4] OT: Ergonomic Chairs and vision

Crandon David tabdave at comcast.net
Sun Mar 5 08:41:17 PST 2006

Ok, I'll jump in here since I'm an optometrist.

For those of you under 40 or so, just make sure you have an accurate
eyeglass Rx. It will cut down on eyestrain/headaches/tired eyes, etc.
Most of you won't need a "special"  Rx for computer use. Also, just
because you feel your vision is "clear", doesn't mean it's
"comfortable". You may have a minor Rx. Staring at computers is a
very demanding visual task. If you have a minor deficiency in your
vision, you may not notice any symptoms under other tasks.

For those over the age of 40 or so, you may need a "near point" Rx.
If you are over 45-50, the nearpoint Rx you use for reading/paperwork
may not be the same as needed for computer use. The "power" of the
nearpoint Rx affects the distance the glasses are focused from your
eyes. Typical reading/paperwork is usually about 16-18". Typical
computer monitors are 20-26".

What Al is calling "graduated focus (transition) lenses are properly
called progressives. At the top of the lens is power for your
distance vision, and then the power "progressively" gets stronger as
your eyes travel to the bottom of the lens. These work much better
than lined bifocals for computer use, but may not be the best for
everybody because you still have to tilt your head back somewhat to
look through the lower portion of the lens at the monitor.

For those  over 45-50, the best lens for long-term computer use is a
progressive or lined bifocal that we call an "intermediate/near" Rx.
The bottom of the lens is focused for 16-18" and the top for 22-26"
or so.

A few more tips...getting an antireflection coating on the lens will
help with eyestrain (the new premium coatings don't have all the
problems that previous A/R coatings did). But most importantly, give
your eyes a break every once in a while. Every 20 minutes or so, lean
back and look at something far away (at least 10-20 feet) for about
30 seconds.

Lastly, reduce reflections on the surface of the monitor. Turn it
off, see what's reflecting in it and try to position it to reduce
reflections. Especially of any light sources. Remove any "anti-glare"
screens first. Most are useless. These are only a last resort.

David Crandon, O.D.