[G4] Firmware and BootROM

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Fri Mar 10 23:08:32 PST 2006

Hello all,

I appreciate all the great advice, but I'm still having trouble booting into OS 9.  If I change the Startup Disk in the preferences panel I can start it booting into 9 but it freezes when the desktop comes up.  I have a gig of RAM and am wondering if the system is simply taking a lot of time to check the RAM.  That's what my old 8600 did when I installed OS 9 on it.  I had to command-control-startup button (restart) to get it to skip the RAM check.

It starts up OK from the OS 9.2.1 CD. I ran Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, and then did a clean install, but each time I rebooted it froze.  I suppose I could just start up from the CD and do the firmware upgrade from there.

No one mentioned the relationship between BootROM and firmware.  Is there any?  And are there any other ideas to help with my OS9 problem?  Classic runs fine, but will not boot successfully.

Nate