[G4] Firmware and BootROM

Steve Adams adamss99 at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 11 00:13:36 PST 2006

BootROM and firmware are the exact same thing, just a different way
to say it. A computer chip has no idea what is around it or how to
find anything. Every computer requires a BootROM to determine things
in the hardware and where to find other software and hardware.
Whatever is on a ROM (Read Only Memory) is called firmware because it
is un-changeable. Nowadays the ROM chips have been replaced with
EEPROM (Electrically Erasable and Programable Read Only Memory) and
the firmware can be changed. It's confusing to newcomers but makes
since to those that have been around since the early days of computers.

I'm not condemning or belittling newcomers but much of the computer
lingo has survived through 25+ years of evolution. BootROM is one of
those words from the old days that needs to be laid to rest with all
the Fat Macs and original IBM PC's. It is only adding confusion and
frustration to those that are trying hard to understand an already
hard-to-understand computer world.

If you are getting to the stage of seeing a desktop, I would not
suspect the BootROM. I would suspect extensions or something in the
OS. The BootROM mission is to find the OS and it looks like it did
that. And the fact that it boots fine from the CD tends to prove the
BootROM is okay. It also tells me all of your hardware is fine
(mother board, memory, CD drive, etc.) with the possible exception of
the hard drive. I also doubt the hard drive is bad. First, if the
hard drive is under 1 gig in size, make sure at least 10% of the
drive is free. If over 1 gig, make sure 300 meg is free. If the drive
is too full you will see exactly what you what describe. If the drive
is over 5 years old, with a lot of hard use, it can have bad sectors
that are no longer readable and causing the problems you are seeing.
But, I think bed sectors would bring up an error screen telling you
the system found sectors that are bad.

I've not worked with OS9 in the last 5 years. Since you can boot with
a CD, others can tell you how to disable extensions and other
software issues.

Steve Adams