[G4] Firmware and BootROM

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Mar 11 01:21:36 PST 2006

On 10 March, 2006, at 11:08:32, nagable at comcast.net wrote:

> It starts up OK from the OS 9.2.1 CD. I ran Disk First Aid, Disk
> Warrior, and then did a clean install, but each time I rebooted it
> froze.  I suppose I could just start up from the CD and do the
> firmware upgrade from there.

Have you tried to start with your extensions off? Try holding down
the shift key and see if you can complete the startup.

I had a similar experience with a drive that had three corrupted
extensions because of a bad installation of HP printer drivers. Once
I booted with extensions off, I disabled the first half of the
extensions and rebooted. It failed to boot again. I started, again
with extensions off, and disabled the second half of the extensions
as the final part of my extension test. The machine started perfectly.

I then cut that half into halves and re-did the tests. Finally, I
narrowed it down to the HP printer drivers. I removed them and had no
further problems on starting. I got new drivers from HP, installed
them, and rebooted. This installation was good and the problem did
not return.

Perhaps this advice will help, perhaps not. It's at least worth the try.