[G4] Re: cable vs. DSL modem

Bill Calamita list at calamita.com
Sat Mar 11 04:32:35 PST 2006

Really, it comes down to service and price vs. speed, I believe.

I had DSL through Verizon, and found the tech support and service lacking,
especially when my service went down.  In fairness, this was 1999 when
Verizon had just started DSL service.  I switched to Earthlink DSL, which
had me connecting with three companies...

-Earthlink, for service, support, billing, email server etc.
-Covad, for the actual pipeline
-Verizon, for the 'last mile' copper connection

...so when I tried to move (to another apartment in the same building),
Earthlink told me I'd be without high-speed service for _6 weeks_ while all
of the entities got in sync to make the switch.  (Not a six week order, as I
called almost two months before my move.  After the order was in, I would be
w/o high speed for that long as Earthlink would have to cancel one 'account'
and start another w/Verizon on the same phone #.)

So I called Time Warner and was told they could hook up cable modem service
in _3 days_.  I switched and have found their service to be great.  And, at
least in NYC their price is better than Verizon for the same speed
residential service.