[G4] Re: cable vs DSL modem

Matthew Wensley mwensley at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 8 06:51:44 PST 2006

Cable: shared connection, up and down speeds fluctuate with number of
users on. Often is slower than DSL 7PM - 11PM. Security risk if your
neighbours can use a packet sniffer. Usually have to bundle with
cable tv to get "good" price. Pain in the ass to move from one room
to another unless you go wireless. You usually can only access the
net from your one point. Can be much faster than DSL.

DSL: private connection, speeds more steady, more secure. Speed
dependent upon your distance to Central Office and quality of the
copper lines. Easily moved to any room with an existing phone jack.
DSL provider may throw in dial up hours. Max speeds much slower than
max speeds of cable.

Different markets will have different issues and pricing.

I'm in Toronto Canada, and much much prefer DSL to cable. With
Sympatico, I can find a local access number most places in Canada to
dial up with my iBook if I am not in a wireless zone.

Matt

---
Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave.
-- William Pitt, 1763

On 8-Mar-06, at 7:28 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com