[G4] Sonnet Duet 1.8GHz

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 20:20:07 PST 2006

Hi all,

Thanks to those who reponded to my panic attack about the firmware question and being unable to boot into OS 9.2--that got resolved with a clean install.

I got the firmware upgraded, installed the processor (Sonnet Duet 1.8GHz), and the computer (QuickSilver 2002, 800MHz originally, 1Gig RAM) starts off like a shot.  Runs really fast for about 5 minutes, then freezes.

I think it's overheating.  The heat sink has dual fans mounted on it, but there's no place to plug them in.   I had a similar overheating problem with a Snow iMac a few years back.

Any solutions out there, or similar experiences?  I'll call Sonnet tech support tomorrow.

Nate