[G4] Best program for DVD burning

GDB-MDD-X.4.5 dougburton at vevayindiana.net
Fri Mar 24 10:40:27 PST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 4:14 PM, James Asherman wrote:

> Mpeg4 at 50% quality at 320x240 just has to be significantly worse
> resolution than your VHS tapes.
>  It's less pixels than were there to begin with and 50% quality of
> a highly compressed codec.
> Watching those DVD's on a big TV should be a pretty murky experience.
> While I would use a .dv codec,what is more importat is that I think
> shrinking your res and limiting quality are parameters that would
> IMHO make it
> a waste to commit such material to DVD.
> Jim

I finally got the chance to try your suggestion and you are indeed
correct.  Only problem was I didn't anticipate the size of the
resulting file.  The way I had been doing it would result in about a
3 Gb file size, but with this new setup, I ran out of disk space the
first time I tried it.  Cleared some old stuff I had been working on
and now I have a 20 Gb .mov file!  That's all well and good, the
quality is excellent, but now I'm stuck as I don't have enough room
to do the conversion to iDVD!  Guess I'll have to look for a new HD
for sure.  While I'm at it, I'm looking at a program called
SimpleMovieX to do some simple edits to my files before I give them
over to iDVD.  This way I can avoid the long conversion process of
iMovie and still retain the ability to trim the rough edges at the
beginning and end of the files.  Anyone have any experience with this
software?

Just a message from Doug...