[G4] Re: Best program for DVD burning

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Tue Mar 21 15:59:37 PST 2006

> Hello,

Hey,

> Thanks to all who offered suggestions for setting up my G4 AGP. I am up
> and running and am ready to burn DVDs. What programs do you recommend?
> I am running OS 10.3.9 and OS classic. Should I get ILife 05 or move up
> to Tiger and iLife 06. Any suggestions from those more experienced
> would be greatly appreciated.

Since I only have a 400Mhz box (w1/2G Ram) burning experience has been
less good than with my Winboxes (P-4's).  It isn't the actual burning,
but conversion/encoding seem to stress it out.
For me it is more an issue between a 'do everything' app versus using 'a
few specialized' apps.
(Everyone will have a favorite bundle)
When I switched teams, most claimed Toast wuz best (some have even
stayed with 6, - - 7x is current) at lest for the price.  You can spend
over a grand (or more) if you plan on doing some far out video stuff.

I've always preferred to do the 'processes' w/separate, specialize apps.
The actual 'burn' (once you have the data in a final format) is the easy
part.
It's easy if a single app 'does it all' - - but one tends to have less
control over each phase (in the less expensive apps) and if there's a
problem along the way - - You've either wasted a lot of time and a disc
(so what) & may not know exactly 'why' you failed.

iLife's apps seemed to demand the most resources of all I've tried.  In
fact they say up front a 400 isn't enough to pull the cart. It' sweet if
you have the horses.

If bundled apps work?  Great!  Dragon Burn seemed to be less demanding
on my box, and was just fine for most work.

But I'll prolly stick with individual apps to prepare (audio or video)
in both Win and Mac. If I'm pressed for time and it isn't too
complicated I'll use a bundle and push a button and let it all run!

1. Be patient. "Slower is usually better". (Sooner or later you'll run
into a player which won't even read a disc which was burned to rapidly)
2. Don't expect magic from getting an .mpeg, DivX, avi or-non native DVD
formats to do well on a TV/DVD player. It can be done?  Ya have a lot of
options to consider when converting and ya gave to make the right
choices - or it looks awful. Plus, it's slow!
3. Check out Google.  One 'loaded' site (yeah - - commercial, with links
to 'stores') is videohelp.com.
It's got loads of tips and also a summary on just about every tool out
there. (& forums too).
4. If you have the 'juice'..you'll find more of a selection if ya ditch
'Classic & 10.3.9'.
I was worried OS X would be 'too much' for my rig...If anything it's
allowed me to use some newer apps (which are better).

Ultimately it depends on your standards. I know lots of people who claim
to have no problems (and there works is pretty lousy). Audio/video has
become easier...the best results still demand a brain, some time and an
effort.
"It ain't the app (or the machine)...it's the person using it."

Michael