[G4] Adding memory to a G4 PCI.

Francis Dozin francisdozin at freesurf.fr
Mon May 1 02:19:14 PDT 2006

> The machine came with the following;
>
> 128mb pc133, 64mb pc100, 64mb pc100.
>
> I purchased two 256mb pc133 (only way i can verify they're 256's are
> from the label on the sticks).
> I don't have a machine to test it out on.
>
> I've removed and re-inserted them several times, in several
> combinations of placement. they all show up in the profiler when i
> swap them around.  but the 256's consistantly show up as 128.  so i'm
> pretty sure they're seated ok.
>
> Regarding the comment about memory that's too high a density.
> How do you know what the density is?
> Does it make any difference that they're single sided?

Yes, and this is probably where the problem is.
I used double sided 256 MB sticks in a Blue/white G3 and they show up as
128.
When used in my recently bought AGP sawtooth G4, they show up as 256.
My opinion is that your machine (very same motherboard as the blue/white
G3, if I am right) can use ONLY single sided RAM sticks.

> They look pretty much the same as the existing original ones. ie,
> chips on one side only.

That is also true, they look the same, but...

> As well, what is the CUDA button???

no incidence in this case.

Francis Dozin,
Liège, Belgium