[G4] New to me G4/OSX questions...

J. R. Rosen dilloman at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 12 07:43:43 PDT 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Kenn Engstrom wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I just snagged G4 from ebay (moving up from a Biege G3 MT running
> 9.1).
>  This a 500mhz Gigabit Ethernet, Dual Processor machine, and it came
> with a 38 gig HD, and a fresh install of 10.3.5, but no original
> setup/restore cd's.
GREAT MACHINE!!!

> I've been using Mac's for a long time, but really know just enough to
> get myself into trouble...  :-)  ...and this is my first look at OSX.
> I think I want to install an OS 9 version so I can run some of my
> software in classic mode if necessary.  It's been my understanding
> that
> I need to have OSX in a partition, is that correct?  Can I just
> install
> OS 9 now, or will I need to start fresh and reinstall OSX?  Or, does
> the partition just come into play if I want to boot into 9.x.x?
You don't HAVE TO partition to add OS9 - if you do, you'll have to
erase/reformat the hard drive, and you said you don't have the
install disks, so I would just load/install OS9 to the current
configuration.

> Also, the keyboard came with a dead key...and possible corrective
> action?  Or do I simply need a replacement?
REPLACE!!!

> Thanks for any thoughts, direction and/or advise.
>
> Kenn

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics
305 Wells Fargo Dr., Suite 4