[G4] New to me G4/OSX questions...

Jamie Pruden m3gunner at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 12 08:41:36 PDT 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Kenn Engstrom wrote:
<snip>

> I think I want to install an OS 9 version so I can run some of my
> software in classic mode if necessary.  It's been my understanding
> that
> I need to have OSX in a partition, is that correct?  Can I just
> install
> OS 9 now, or will I need to start fresh and reinstall OSX?  Or, does
> the partition just come into play if I want to boot into 9.x.x?
>
> Also, the keyboard came with a dead key...and possible corrective
> action?  Or do I simply need a replacement?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, direction and/or advise.
>
> Kenn

Hi Kenn,

Here's how I usually do it.

1. Boot from the OS X CD (hold down the C key while booting) and
reformat the drive. When you do this, make sure you choose the option
to install the OS 9 drivers. Once you're done, shut down the machine.

2. Boot the machine holding down the mouse button. This will open the
optical drive and will let you put in your OS 9 disk.

3. Reboot the machine from the OS 9 CD (hold down the C key while
booting) and install OS 9 (preferably OS 9.2.2.)

4. Restart the machine and make sure you can boot from OS 9. If
everything is OK, eject the OS 9 CD, put in the OS X CD and restart
the machine again.

5. Hold down the C key and the machine will boot from the OS X CD.
Install OS X.

6. Restart the machine and open System Preferences in the Apple menu.

7. Choose the Classic preference and make sure your OS X install sees
the Classic System Folder.

That's it. I normally run System Update a few times to make sure I'm
totally up to date on whatever OS I've installed and then make a full
backup of the drive so that I can quickly restore in case of a
catastrophic failure... it's much more possible on older hardware and
DVDs are cheap. ;)

smiles,
Jamie