[G4] USB Modem dilemma

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Wed May 24 17:29:30 PDT 2006

I moved my backup G4 400 AGP to our summer place this week. The
internal modem stopped working years ago and it has been replaced by
a seires of modems, the latest being a SupraExpress 56K v.90 USB modem.
This modem worked fine last summer with the G4 I will be using it with.

Here's the problem: The modem shows up in the system profiler under
the USB tab. And it properly disappears when I unplug it and
reappears when it is reattached.

When I reconfigure the system to operate with the dial up modem, the
modem is recognized, the drivers are there, but when I click the
button in Internet Connect I get a message that the modem is
configured but the modem is not connected..... but obviously the
profiler thinks it is connected.

In the Network preferences on the network status page the indicator
next to the USB modem is RED (rather than green as normal) and the
message reads the USB modem is selected and configured but that it is
not connected to the computer.

Help.  Any thoughts as to how to trouble shoot? This hardware and
sytem software combination have worked fine in the past. I've not
been able to find anything useful in the knowledge base.

Thanks,
John
OS 10.3.6? on the G4 (whaTever the last upgrade to 10.3 was)