[G4] Need to Re-Do Partitions

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon May 29 00:46:09 PDT 2006

On 05/28/06, Jim Thornton <jimthornton at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm running OSX 10.4.6 on a Quicksilver 733 with two internal hard drives
> (60 and 80GB) and an external FW/USB2 160GB drive.
>
> I originally partitioned my two internal drives into two volumes each, but
> now believe such partitioning was a mistake; I'm running out of space on
> some of the volumes, since I sized them poorly. I would like to use the
> external drive to temporarily hold the stuff from one of the internal drives
> while I wipe the internal clean and turn it into a single partition, then
> move the stuff (system, apps, and/or data) back onto the original drive --
> after I turn it into a single volume.
>
> Can this be done? (Seems like it would be doable, but I don't want to forget
> something.)
>
> I have ProSoft Engineering's Data Backup; perhaps I could just do a simple
> "back up entire volume" to the external drive -- but what about restoring it
> to a new/different volume than it came from?
>
> I have one volume with OS9 on it, I'd want to keep this capability, although
> I almost never boot into OS9. Another volume has OSX, my apps, and most of
> my data on it. The other two volumes have just data. I have plenty of space
> on the external drive.

What's on the ext FWHD? If only data, then collect it into a single folder.
Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X volume to it-it won't touch the
data folder. Then, boot into the FWHD volume and ensure that it works just like
the original. If that works like it should, create three additional folders;
one for OS 9 and one each for the other data files. Open each of those volumes,
select all, and drag and drop to their respective folders. Launch Disk Utility,
repartition each internal HD, and clone the clone to one of them. Open the OS 9
folder, select all, and drag & drop to the other HD. Put the data wherever.