Also power supply and video upgrades, Re: [G4] Processor upgrade

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Tue May 30 17:36:32 PDT 2006

Brian Parker wrote:
> Here's the reply I got back from Sonnet.
>
> Brian,
>

> Yup. One of our engineers is working on such an upgrade. In fact, he's asked
> me to keep track of requests so I'm saving your name and email address and
> we'll contact you when it's ready.
>

> Neal
> Sonnet Customer Service
> support at sonnettech.com

Hmm...  Maybe I should let Sonnet know I'm window-shopping for processor
upgrades for my Gigabit Ethernet.

I received my G4 with a dead processor and a spare 400 (or is it 450)
MHz processor pulled from a Cube.  I'd like to get a dual-processor
upgrade for it - any suggestions?

I also want to upgrade the video card.  I have a Radeon 9800 Pro in my
PC that I've been very happy with, but I haven't found a clear answer
whether or not the 9800 Pro Mac Edition will work in my Gigabit.  Does
anyone know?  What other video cards should I consider?

The power supply rating seems pretty wimpy after my experience with PC
power supplies.  Are there any upgrades available in this department?

What stores would you guys recommend for Mac parts and upgrades?

Finally, does anyone have a u-shaped hard drive bracket that will fit my
Gigabit?  I'd be willing to pay $10...maybe $15 including shipping.

I know I'm looking at spending more on this old G4 than a Mac Mini would
cost, but I don't want to buy another computer (silly me)!

I'm glad I found you guys!
-- Rich