[G4] Help needed on G4 after power surge

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Wed May 31 09:16:19 PDT 2006

Tom,

I'm hardly an expert, but my first step here would be to check for
directory damage. Get your Disk First Aid and see if it repairs
anything. Power surges really wreak havoc with directory info. I think
Diskwarrior can also fix the directory.

The other thing - and I really know too much about this - a power surge
connector protects against spikes but not outages. What you really need
is a UPS with a generator to keep the computer running when the power
goes out. APC is the most well-known of UPS makers but I think Belkin
makes them too.

The reason the directory gets munged is because it is writing info on
locations of things when the power goes out, and that info gets lost.
So essentially your system components are still there, it's just that
your Mac has forgotten where they are.