[G4] power supply upgrade

Charles Robles crobles1 at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 17:07:37 PST 2006

Hi guys, I am new here but i think i might be in the right place. I
recently purchased a mercury extreme 1.5 GHz processor upgrade for my
g4 originally 400MHz machine. I also previously installed an extra
hard drive and ati 9000 pro video card. The previous processor
upgrade was 800Mhz. Well, the new processor did not work- no startup
chime and no picture so i put back the old processor and everything
works fine. I received a replacement and got the same results so i
spoke to a tech guy where I bought it and he suggested that I am
probably right over the line powerwise. I suspect that he might be
right. He suggested I can get more power by buying a pc power supply
and just splice some wires and such to install it. I don't know the
details yet. I guess my question is do you think the tech guy is
correct as I suspect he is and what kind of pc alien part should fit
into the space and how big volt wise would be too much for my g4 or
should I just forget the whole thing?