[G4] Airport Original and upgrades.

SKYGRAM skygram at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 15:36:09 PST 2006

Erin,

I think you did well for your money. I too have an old G4-400Mhz and
it is a real work horse.

Check out this recent article at Low-End Mac.

http://lowendmac.com/fishkin/06/1031.html

I recently added a Belkin USB2 PCI card. I installed it myself. It
took 2 minutes. I have also added a Pioneer DWR-111D. It is a dual
sided DVD burner. It took about 15 minutes to install. There are sites
online to show you how to do this.

Download the user manual for your unit at the Apple web site. It is a
PDF file. It shows you how to add extra hard drives and an Airport
card among other things.

The Apple site also has short videos showing you how to do certain
small installations. Such as installing CD/DVD burners and hard drives
and other add-on cards. Check those out too.

However Airport cards themselves are now relatively hard to find for
that generation of Mac and can be expensive because of this. The new
Airport Extreme models don't fit. Check out eBay for the old ones.

You can use other wireless adapters made by other companies as well. I
installed one last night on a friend's G4-500. Again it took two
minutes and it worked flawlessly. It was a Belkin PCI card type. It
cost about $35.00us. I bought it at Best Buy.

Also check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

I have found that site invaluble for upgrade information.

Ciao!
Bill
Montreal