[G4] CPU failure

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Oct 8 16:29:05 PDT 2006

On 7 October, 2006, at 4:18:14, MegaSTMac at aol.com wrote:

> So, how reliable is the message? Is there any way to know if the
> CPU is
> really bad? Can the bad CPU be disable mechanically or via software?

If you have a second machine to install the CPU into, it could be
checked by starting it up. Or, you could take it in and have the
Apple shop nearest you check it on their test machine (they would do
the same thing, but charge you the hourly rate to do so).

If the CPU is truly gone to the dogs, you will have to buy a
replacement - Apple, OWC, eBay,  Mac User Group, etc.

I do not know of any way to boot a machine without an operating CPU
installed. If anyone out there has done this successfully, I am sure
that Apple and all the other computer manufacturers would have bought
up the technique and stashed that information deep under ground
already. This would be like the "100 Mile-per-gallon carburetor" that
is mentioned in urban legends. It sounds good, but nobody knows where
the plans are or who developed it.