[G4] CPU failure

MegaSTMac at aol.com MegaSTMac at aol.com
Sat Oct 7 16:18:14 PDT 2006

I got a call today from my son who lives 10 hours away and has a dual 867 MDD
Mac. He bought it new from Apple, still runs 10.2.8, and just uses his Mac.
No mods. He keeps his Mac on all the time, and when he came home last night it
had a black screen with 'CPU failure' in white, at the top of his screen. When
he went to reboot, it came up with the Mac/? and opened the CD tray. I told
him to get his install disks and try to boot from that. My thought is that
maybe the CPU started to flake and somehow ruined the underlying system software.

So, how reliable is the message? Is there any way to know if the CPU is
really bad? Can the bad CPU be disable mechanically or via software?

STeve