[G4] How to tell if motherboard is QS or QS2002?

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Wed Oct 11 22:00:40 PDT 2006

I picked up a QuickSilver for parts off eBay.  The case says it's a 1GHz
dual-processor, which would make it a QS2002, but the seller said it
won't boot, and the processor is definitely only a single CPU, not a
dual.  It arrived today, and while I only bought it for parts, it's
still a little disappointing.  The case looks pretty good, but it's
loaded with dust, and a lot of the screws were torqued down way too tight.

The hard drive was stripped (I expected that), as was the memory (that
makes sense, but I was still hoping it had memory).  The CPU turns out
to be a 933MHz single, not even a 1GHz single (though that's not a huge
difference).  The video card is an nVidia GeForce2 MX, which was
available in the QS, but not the QS2002.  So, the CPU and video card
apparently came from an older computer.  The big question is whether the
motherboard also came from an older QS or the newer QS2002.  The
difference is that the QS2002 doesn't have the 120GB limit on hard drives.

The motherboard may not even work, but in case it does, how do I tell if
it's a QS or a QS2002?

I hope the power supply works!

Thanks!
--
Rich

P.S. - It looks like one of the pins in the motherboards CPU socket is
bent or broken.  I'll need to get a magnifying glass to tell if it's
repairable.  I can't believe I don't already own a magnifying glass!