[G4] How to tell if motherboard is QS or QS2002?

J.M.P.Hissel jomph at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 14 16:07:00 PDT 2006

On 14-10-2006 22:35, Till Wimmer, g4-lisz at tonarchiv.ch, wrote:

> I'm not sure about this... but i think that the old QS had the older
> 133MHz SD RAM type, and the 2002 one have the newer DDR-RAM type (167MHz
> bus) with more pins. Have a look at the RAM slots. If they have 168pins,
> then IMHO it's an old QS.

I don't agree. The QS and the QS 2002 have the same RAM.
IMHO the easiest way to find out whether or not it's QS 2002 is to find the
serial number. On a running Mac with OS 10.x.x in System Profiler. A lot of
Macs have a sticker with the serial number on. I have several Macs with that
sticker on the bottom. Having found your Serial Number goto:
<http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html>
Type your Serial Number (Don't worry, page is in Dutch and English!), click
"Show the information" and ooeeeppppppsssss you go!!
Example: I type in the SN of my QS 2002/800 : CK212H15MJP and get following:

Serial number: CK212H15MJP
Name: Power Macintosh G4 (Quicksilver 2002)
Model: M8705 PowerMac G4 800MHz Drive=CD-RW
Bus speed: 133MHz
Factory: CK (Cork, Ireland)

Model introduced: 2002
Production year: 2002
Production week: 12 (March)
Production number: 19691 (within this week)

HTH,

Jo Hissel