[G4] Dying Sawtooth status was 'Help, I think my Sawtooth died!

Carol Leger java_j at macosx.com
Sun Oct 15 16:27:21 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

My sawtooth is not dead, but it may be dying.

I did get it going again, sort of.

I took several of your suggestions.

I removed all but one stick of RAM and reset that one.

I was surprised to hear a chime and immediately reset the PRAM.  (Thanks
for the detailed instructions.)

This time it got far enough to give me the folder with the question mark
inside and eventually booted up in OS 9.1.  I have OS 9.1 and OS 9.2 on
one drive and OS 10.3.5 on another.  A simple restart gave me the folder
with the question mark and again it booted into OS 9.1.  At that point,
I used the Startup Disk Control Panel to select OS 9.2 as the startup disk.

Once OS 9.2 was up, I restarted from the Disk Warrior 3.0.2 CD and
checked everything.  There were no major problems.  I was able to use
the OS 9.2 Startup Disk Control Panel to select OS 10 as the startup
disk.  It restarted without a problem.  At this point I made a
successfull backup onto a Firewire drive using SuperDuper.  The
sawtooth  restarted from the backup Firewire drive and then successfully
from the interval drive with OS X.

During all the successful restarts, I never shut the computer down.  It
was all restarts.

The final test was to shut down and reboot.  No go.  It seemed I had to
press the power button harder than usual, but I got something.  It was a
single chime, then the power button flashed, I  heard the real boot
chime and then I got the message on the screen saying I had been dumped
into Open Firmware.  When given the choice of mac-boot or shut-down, I
typed shut-down.

That is where I am at.  Does this give you folks any hints?  It seems to
be something that is affecting boots after a shut down, but not restarts.