[G4] Mini is the way to go - for SOME users

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 08:56:04 PDT 2006

No computer is all things to all users.

I looked at the minis before settling on my MDD.
There was no way to make a mini do what I needed to
do, at least not without a ton of extra expense and
hassle.  First, I had to do a bunch of data recovery
on numerous oddball old drives, some of them damaged,
and messing with different external enclosures wasn't
realistic.  Data recovery was top priority, and a mini
just couldn't have done the job.

Then there was the issue of optical drives -- I needed
two, and already had an extra internal superdrive
ready to install.  No-can-do on a mini.  Oh, and then
there's the dual-boot issue -- I still use lots of OS
9 software, and it would cost me 2 or 3 thousand
dollars to replace it all with OS X versions, to say
nothing of Intel.  Not possible.

Simply put, the MDD was the very best machine in my
price range that I KNEW would do everything I needed
without a bunch of headaches.  And I know I'm not
alone in that, otherwise, the market for G4s would not
still be as it is.  For the casual user, I suppose
it's just fine and dandy to run out and buy the latest
supercharged gumdrop.  But there are many of us who
have more complex needs than the minis can fill, and
have to fulfill those needs on a budget.

It's not a perfect world.

--DKM